شربت Sharbat is a popular sweet drink made from fruits or vegetables and is served over ice.شربت ریواس Sharbat-e rivas (rhubarb sherbet) may not be as widely known or as popular as sharbat-e limoohowever it's equally refreshing and visually beautiful with its stunning pink color! Rhubarb's season is very short and each year I only spot them a few times in the farm market.I always buy rhubarb stalks as soon as I see them,knowing I may not find them anywhere for another year.Now,I see bundles of them where I live.Last year,I wrote about the delicious rhubarb savory dish Khoresh Rivas ( Persian Rhubarb Stew).
Madaram (My Mother)
Sharbat Rivas - Rhubarb Sherbet
2 pounds rhubarb,washed,cut into 2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cup sugar
Juice of 1-2 lemons
1 tablespoon rose water *optional
- Place the rhubarb chunks into a large pot and pour in 3-4 cups of water to cover the rhubarbs.Bring to a boil on medium heat,stirring occasionally and cook till rhubarb is completely soft about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain the rhubarb in a fine mesh sieve,pressing down on the pulps.
- Pour the juice back in the pot,add sugar and bring to a gentle boil over medium-low heat until sugar is completely dissolved.Reduce heat and simmer until the rhubarb syrup thickens a bit.
- Add a tablespoon of rose water for the added aroma in the last ten minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before pouring the syrup into glass bottles and refrigerate.
- Combine a cup of rhubarb syrup with a cup of ice,3 cups of water and lemon juice,mix well,taste and adjust to your liking.Serve chilled.