Tah-Chin - Upside Down Layered Saffron Rice & ChickenBAPALY体育
2 1/2 cups long grain basmati rice,rinsed and soaked in water with 2 tablespoons of salt for a couple of hours.Drain.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 eggs,yolks only
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon ground saffron,BAPALY体育dissolved in 3-4 tablespoons of hot water
1 large onion,peeled,and thinly sliced
A pinch of turmericbaplay
Salt to taste
Butter or vegetable oil
Chicken stock *optional
Garnish:barberries,slivered almonds or pistachios *optional
- Place the raw chicken breasts in a pot along with onion,add turmeric,baplay1/2 teaspoon salt and a cup of water,bring to boil on medium-high heat, reduce heat,cover and cook for an hour on medium-low heat.Set aside to cool.Cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large pot on medium-high heat,add the rice and boil for about 8-10 minutes or until rice grains are soft on the ends and firm in the center.Drain and pour some cool water over it to wash away the starch and to separate the rice grains.This cool water rinse helps bring about a more fluffy rice.Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine yogurt,yolks,salt and saffron.BAPALY体育Mix well.
- Add the rice to the yogurt mixture,blend well.
- In a nonstick pan,add 3 tablespoons oil and a tablespoon of liquid saffron.BAPALY体育Move the pan in a circular motion to cover the bottom uniformly.Ladle 2/3 of the rice into the pan,flatten with a wooden spoon,layer chicken pieces evenly and cover the entire surface.Pour the rest of the rice over the chicken pieces,flatten the top with the back of a large spoon while pressing down.Pour 2-3 tablespoons strained chicken stock,2 tablespoons oil or melted butter and the remaining liquid saffron over the rice.BAPALY体育
- Place the pot on medium-high heat.When you notice a steam coming up, lower the heat,cover and cook for one hour until the crust forms and the flavors come together. Since there's yogurt and egg yolk at the bottom of the pan it can easily burn,so adjust the heat setting of your stove accordingly.
Tah-chin goes well with plain yogurt, mast o khiar, salad Shirazi,or torshi.