خورش قورمه سبزی Khoresh-e Ghormeh Sabzi is one of the most delicious and popular dishes among Iranians.I've never met anyone who didn't like ghormeh sabzi.The combination of flavorful and aromatic herbs, slow cooked lamb cubes,fork-tender beans and dried lemons make the khoresh very tasty and nutritious.My mother would call this dish a Sabzi Stew (vegetable stew) because she would add a whole lot of vegetables to the pot including spinach and dill.This is my simplified and the more common version.
2 pounds meat (lamb or beef) washed and cubed
1 cup red kidney beans or pinto beans,soaked overnight
1 large yellow onion,finely chopped
4 bunches flat-leafed parsley
1 bunch cilantro
2 large leeks or 4 scallions (green stems only)
1 small bunch fresh fenugreek,or 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek (shanbalileh),too much fenugreek will cause ghormeh sabzi to taste bitter
3-4 dried lemons (limoo amani),or 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon turmericbaplay
Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and wash the herbs,dry thoroughly and chop finely.
- Heat 1/3 cup of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute the chopped fresh herbs for about 15 minutes,stir frequently.Set aside.
- In a large stew pot,saute chopped onions in 2 tablespoons of oil until they become golden brown.
- Add the meat,turmeric,baplaysalt,pepper and fry until all sides are brown.
- Add the soaked dried beans,fried vegetables and dried lemons.
- Pour in enough water to cover the mixture by about 2 inches,bring to a boil on high heat for just a couple of minutes, lower the heat,cover and cook on medium to low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary and add a little more water if needed. Reduce the heat to its lowest setting and simmer for another 30 minutes.The longer ghormeh sabzi simmers the better it tastes.( khoob ja miofteh).It would also taste better reheated the next day.Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.